It’s that time of year again, when you have to pull yourself out of your winter hibernation and shake off the dust bunnies. Nothing makes you feel guiltier than a ray of April sunshine hitting your dusty mantel.
Here are some tried and true methods to making your spring cleaning as effective and painless as possible!
· Make a list of all of your rooms and or spaces, in need of attention. Don’t forget the linen closet, under the bathroom sink, and of course that dreaded junk drawer.
· Once your list is made, divvy up dates or times for each room or area. Nothing squashes a project faster, then taking on too much and overwhelming yourself. Taking a half hour a day to go through the medicine cabinet or hall closet is much better than taking on the whole house and then you find your whole Sunday wasted and all of a sudden you’re crying in a pile of grandma’s old sweaters; desperate for a glass of chardonnay.
· Call up your friends! A trusted buddy’s opinion and firm hand on a garbage bag with cut your excuses down and all there is always the old adage of “Many hands make light work.”
· With everything you pick up or clean off- ask yourself three vital questions:
"Do I use it?"
"Do I need it?"
"Do I love it?"
· Find local places that will come and pick up donations. Having a time that Joan from the local shelter is going to knock on your door will put a fire under your butt that not only benefits you but also your local community.
· Lastly, make it fun, or at least as enjoyable as you can. Blast your favorite guilty pleasure music, open up all the windows, wear the tutu from 4 Halloweens ago. Remember that this is an act of self-care and kindness. You are making your home a better, cleaner and healthier place for everyone who enters it!
-Emily McKernan of Land + Kamp